The Governors's Role
Governing bodies are expected to have a strong focus on core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
- Monitoring and challenging the progress of the school in achieving its priorities
- Recruiting and performance managing the Headteacher and exercising employer responsibility
Categories of Governors
There are five types of school Governor on our Governing Body:
- Foundation Governors – appointed by Lichfield Diocesan Board of Education
- Parent Governors - elected by the parents and carers of children in school
- Co-opted Governors - selected by the Governing Body to bring the expertise of the local community to the school
- Staff Governors – elected by employees of the school, with the exception of the Headteacher who holds an ex - officio role.
- Associate Governors - ex-officio invited to contribute and inform meetings, unable to vote.
Structure of the Governing Body
Governing Body Composition
Our Instrument of Government provides for 16 Governors which is made up as follows:
- 4 Foundation governors
- 4 Parent governors
- 6 Co-opted governors
- 1 Headteacher governor
- 1 Staff governor
and has the ability to recruit additional Associate Governors for specific projects or purposes. Currently there is one Associate Governor.
Governors are appointed for a term of four years, Associate Governors for one year. See below for full details of governors.
The Chair of Governors is Matt Jevons and the Vice Chair of Governors is Jenny Birch.
Meetings of the Full Governing Body during 2016/17 are scheduled for:
- Thursday 10th November 2016
- Thursday 16th March 2017
- Thursday 29th June 2017
Much of the detailed business of the governing body is conducted through a committee structure focussed on these responsibilities, as follows:
- Building and Health & Safety Committee
- Finance Committee
- Personnel Committee
- Raising Achievement Committee
- Wraparound Care Committee
Sub Committees of the Governing Body and Committee Chairs
Building and Health & Safety Committee – Chair: TBA
The Building and Health & Safety Committee has the responsibility to ensure that the school’s buildings and grounds are well maintained and provide a safe and suitable environment for the pupils and staff. The committee is also responsible for key policies relating to health and safety and safeguarding.
Finance Committee – Chair: Mr M Jevons
The Finance Committee sets the financial policy and strategy for the School and is responsible for ensuring that the School’s finances are well managed. Also for procurement of major contracts and monitoring the performance of contractors.
Personnel Committee – Chair: Mr M Jevons
The Personnel Committee is responsible for the Governing Body’s non-executive functions as an employer; ensuring that employment policies are legally compliant, maintaining staffing and pay structures and the recruitment, induction and training of governors.
Raising Achievement Committee – Chair: Mrs J Gollins
The Raising Achievement Committee is made up of Link Governors for key areas (Literacy, Numeracy, Pupil Premium, SEN, Early Years and Worship/RE) and is responsible for:
- Setting pupil performance targets for ratification by the full governing body
- Monitoring and challenging data on pupil performance and the quality of teaching
- Reviewing reports from departmental reviews.
Link Governors visit their link areas to gain and understanding of the context of pupil progress and attainment data and thereby improve their ability to provide constructive challenge and hold school leaders to account.
Link Governors observe policies and plans being implemented on a day-to-day basis. Their findings help the whole governing body and committees make well-informed judgments about the progress being made towards the school’s priorities and targets. This process enables the governing body to recognise and celebrate the efforts and successes of pupils and staff and to identify further areas for development. Link Governor’s visits are not about making judgments on the quality of teaching, nor are they about checking on the progress of individual children or pursuing personal agendas.
The current Link Governors are:
- Leadership & Management – Mr M Jevons
- Teaching, Learning & Assessment – Mrs J Birch (Literacy) & Mrs E Smith (Numeracy)
- Personal Development, Behaviour & Welfare – Mrs L Howse
- Outcomes for Children & Learners – Mr M Jevons & Mrs J Gollins
- Early Years – Mrs L Griffiths
- British Values – Mrs J Howell
- Buildings – Mr J Richards
- E-Safety – Mr M Price
- Governor Training & Development – Mr M Jevons
- Literacy – Mrs J Birch
- Numeracy – Mrs E Smith
- Prevent, Safeguarding, Looked after Children – Mrs L Howse
- Pupil Premium – Mrs J Gollins
- SEN – Mrs S Robb
- Sports Premium – Mr S Phillips
- Worship/RE – Mrs S Gilmour
In the meantime, you may find the following web link useful: www.nga.org.uk
Please see documents attached below that will give you further information about the work of the Governing Body.
Chair of Governors Mr M Jevons
can be contacted by email at: