St Nicholas CE First School is a founder member of Codsall Multi Academy Trust (CMAT, established October 2016)) along with Codsall Middle School. CMAT is governed by it's Trustees and Members and operates within the confines of the Memorandum and Articles of Association.
The Governors's Role
Governing bodies are expected to have a strong focus on core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
- Monitoring and challenging the progress of the school in achieving its priorities
- Recruiting and performance managing the Headteacher and exercising employer responsibility
Categories of Governors
There are five types of school Governor on our Governing Body:
- Foundation Governors – appointed by Lichfield Diocesan Board of Education
- Parent Governors - elected by the parents and carers of children in school
- Co-opted Governors - selected by the Governing Body to bring the expertise of the local community to the school
- Staff Governors – elected by employees of the school, with the exception of the Headteacher who holds an ex - officio role.
- Associate Governors - ex-officio invited to contribute and inform meetings, unable to vote.
Structure of the Governing Body
Governing Body Composition
Our Instrument of Government provides for 16 Governors which is made up as follows:
- 4 Foundation governors
- 4 Parent governors
- 6 Co-opted governors
- 1 Headteacher governor
- 1 Staff governor
and has the ability to recruit additional Associate Governors for specific projects or purposes. Currently there are no Associate Governors appointed.
Governors are appointed for a term of four years, Associate Governors for one year. See below for full details of governors.
The Chair of Governors is Matt Jevons and the Vice Chair of Governors is Jenny Birch.
Meetings of the Full Governing Body during 2019/2020 are scheduled for:
17th October 2019
5th December 2019
26th March 2020
11th June 2020
2nd July 2020
Link Governors visit their link areas to gain and understanding of the context of pupil progress and attainment data and thereby improve their ability to provide constructive challenge and hold school leaders to account.
Link Governors observe policies and plans being implemented on a day-to-day basis. Their findings help the whole governing body and committees make well-informed judgments about the progress being made towards the school’s priorities and targets. This process enables the governing body to recognise and celebrate the efforts and successes of pupils and staff and to identify further areas for development. Link Governor’s visits are not about making judgments on the quality of teaching, nor are they about checking on the progress of individual children or pursuing personal agendas.
The current Link Governors are:
- Leadership & Management – Mr M Jevons
- Teaching, Learning & Assessment – Mrs J Birch (Literacy) & Miss L Griffiths (Numeracy)
- Cuuriculum Development – Mrs J Field
- Behaviour & Welfare – Mrs L Howse
- Outcomes for Children & Learners – Mr M Jevons & Mrs J Gollins
- Early Years – Mrs L Griffiths and Miss Z Griffiths
- British Values – Mrs L Howse
- Buildings – Mr J Richards
- E-Safety – Mrs L Howse
- Governor Training & Development – Mr M Jevons
- Literacy – Mrs J Birch
- Numeracy – Miss L Griffiths
- Prevent, Safeguarding, Looked after Children – Mrs L Howse
- Pupil Premium – Miss Pugh
- SEN – Mrs R Wright
- Sports Premium – Mr M Jevons
- Worship/RE – Mrs S Gilmour
- Eco – Miss Z Griffiths
Please see documents attached below that will give you further information about the work of the Governing Body.